Sunday 1 July 2012

Watch Me Grow - Six Weeks

Kaitlin was busy in the week leading up to her six week birthday. Grammy and Pop-pop Cepelak were in town visiting and they kept her very busy! She loved meeting and visiting with them - we took her for walks (when the weather permitted, 100+ F is no place for a baby outside!) and she built up her neck muscles with Pop-pop. And mom got a bit of a break - I even enough time to get a pedicure and a haircut!! I feel like a new woman!



Kaitlin's neck muscles are getting so strong, I am blown away each day to see her lift her head longer and higher than the day before. She has figured out how to "hold" her pacifier in her mouth (which  involves her trying to eat her fist the same time as when the pacifier is already in there) and her smiles are getting bigger each day. Since she doesn't have another doctors appointment until she turns 2 months old, I took her in this week to get weighed. It had been almost four weeks since she was last weighed and I wanted to make sure that she was getting enough milk (since I am exclusively breastfeeding) and was growing at the right rate. She has felt a lot heavier in the last couple of weeks so I knew she was growing, but I just wanted to make sure. Well the little piggy weighed in at 8lbs 11oz - a full 1lb 7oz more than the last weigh in! 

We are still trying to set up a routine, and for the most part we have it down. The hours change slightly each day, depending on when she wakes up in the morning but it is always between 6-7am. We don't get a nap in after every feeding, but I am starting to accept it. As long as she sleeps at least every other feeding then we are good to go (and can usually avoid a meltdown). This week we started giving her a bottle of expressed milk before bed. Since we started that she has slept between four and SEVEN hours at one time. Once she slept six hours and another night she slept seven hours *cue angels singing*. Even four hours at a time is awesome, I won't complain about that!

I have officially retired her newborn size clothes (*tear* they grow up so fast!!) and next week she is moving up to size 1 diapers. How did she get this big so fast?? I have an awful feeling that this whole "growing up" thing isn't going to stop any time soon, and before I know it she'll be driving off to college barely looking back in the rear view mirror at her good old mom and dad. 

And now I need a cookie to make myself feel better. Or maybe a drink. I'll take one of each.


No comments:

Post a Comment