Thursday 19 January 2012

A Room for Baby

During all my spare time these days (HA! Gotcha, like I have any of that) I do a lot of baby-oriented research. I read about how our baby is developing this week and what size fruit she is. I am also reading about what to expect once she is here - all the nitty gritty stuff on breast feeding and burping and explosive - well...you know. I'm researching car seats and cribs and bottles and - you get the point.

And when I want to take a break from all that serious baby stuff, I design her bedroom. I haven't even created a registry and we don't even have a room set up for her yet, but this is the part where I get to be creative and look at pretty websites like Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware and stop stressing about all the serious stuff. 

(Except in true Tracy fashion I then find so many things that I like that I stress out about making a decision on the fun stuff, as usual)

If you ask anyone who knows me well they will tell you that I love pink. And it's true, I do love pink. I love pink dresses and flowers and all shades of this beautiful color - from soft pink peonies to hot neon pink a la the 1990's. When given the choice I am most often drawn to the option that is pink - heck, strawberry milk is even my favorite kind, and that only has a tiny bit to do with the flavor.

But when it came time to picking out my "perfect" baby room, I just couldn't see it being pink. For one, Brian is less of a fan of pink than I am. The only color that was banned from our wedding was pink. He can handle one or two pink things but anything more than that and he starts to panic. 

So, what other options did I have for our baby girls room? I went down the path of our wedding colors, only lighter and softer. Neutrals and purple.

you can find all of these on my Baby C board on Pinterest!

For our wedding the main colors were chocolate brown, dark purple and gold. Since it was a summer wedding we lightened it up with white flowers and the guys wore light colored suits. I am still obsessed with our color palette almost two years later, so it makes sense that a variation of it came creeping into my brain when picking out stuff for babys room.

Truth be told, my favorite color has always been purple. When I was a kid my bedroom had lilac colored walls and purple carpeting. Lilacs are one of my favorite flowers (which might have something to do with how amazing they smell as well). I own purple Hunter wellies and a purple bag. While I really love pink, it's purple that is my actual favorite color. That and its a bit more "guy friendly". Its still a girly color without being too girly. You copy?

While I was searching around for variations of this purple theme I found myself being drawn to how sophisticated the color palette looked. A lot of options out there are for purple and grey baby rooms, but that read a little too cool for me. I love the warmness that taupes, tans and creams add to the shades of purple. And the great thing about having a neutral room with color accents is that it will be easy to change in the future. What if baby girl decides that green or orange or pink is her favorite color? Change some sheets and maybe the wall color and you are set to go!

So, here is my inspiration board for the babys room, Lets see if I can make this happen in real life!

But expect to see lots of pink baby clothes on our little girl. Thats only one or two things at a time so Brian can't complain :)

No comments:

Post a Comment