Thursday 10 May 2012

"The Magic Hanky"

We received a lot of amazing gifts at each one of the baby showers that my friends and family threw for us. And while each gift was wonderful and super generous, I have to admit that I have one favorite gift.

*cringe*

Is that wrong??

Some of the most special gifts end up being those that are passed down from one family member to another or those that are hand made. These gifts come with a story and a history, and were made with love.

(That is NOT to say that the other gifts we received were any less filled with love and less special - am I just digging myself into a hole here??)

My moms cousin - who I don't get to see very often - was able to make it to my baby shower that my mom and sister threw for me. She brought me the sweetest present and I just had to share it here on the blog. I had never heard of this gift before (seeing how I have only ever been to about three baby showers my whole life) but apparently they are quite popular. Maybe you have heard of it?



The Magic Hanky.

When I opened the gift I saw that it came with a poem, which I read aloud to all of the guests. There wasn't a dry eye in the house by the time I reached the end, I thought we were going to have a group hug for a minute there!


"The Magic Hanky"


I'm just a little hanky
As square as can be
But with a stitch or two
They made a bonnet out of me.


I'll be worn from the hospital
Or on the Christening Day,
Then I'll be carefully pressed
And neatly packed away.


For her wedding day
So I've been told,
Every bride must have 
That something old.


So what could be more fitting
Than to have little me?
A few stitches snipped
And a wedding hanky I'll be.


And if, perchance, it is a boy
Someday he'll surely wed
So to his lovely bride her can present
The hanky once worn upon his head.


It's ok, I'll wait for you to dry your eyes - go get a tissue.


All set?

Isn't that the sweetest?! I just adore it. I love that it can be used for a special occasion when the baby is very little and then again when the child is all grown up on her (or his!) wedding day. I used one of my grandmothers hanker chiefs during my wedding so this tradition is right up my alley. We haven't decided when we are going to use the bonnet yet, but I am looking forward to storing it away for when our little girl gets married and then telling her the story behind it.

And with the thought of my unborn daughter getting married I am off to cry my eyes out (they grow up so fast!!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment